Teaching GPS in Schools
GTAV GPS Units for Loan
The GTAV has 36 high-end Garmin GPS devices,which can be borrowed by member schools, as class sets. There is no charge to use these devices, however if they cannot be picked up and returned to the GTAV Office in Camberwell, Victoria, you'll need to cover the cost of postage.
The devices come to you with clear instructions and fantastic activities. These activities have been created by Theo Hartman and Sarah-Kate Hanley from Coburg High School and Peter Girolami from Galen Catholic College Wangaratta and Joseph Kerski PhD (ESRI).
Activities and Worksheets :
These worksheets are ready to use in the classroom to introduce GPS skills into Geography units for Fieldwork and as a geospatial skill to assist spatial analysis. All secondary students should have these quite sophisticated 21st Century skills as outlined in the Victorian Curriculum / ACARA and VCAA Geography curriculum documents.
- Essential instructions on the Garmin Oregon 600t to get you started.
Master Worksheets - which include the answers :
Student Worksheets :
Further Resources :
- GPS to GIS - A more perfect union
- Geocaching - Get outside with GPS
- Geocaching mystery of missing map NAEE 11 with answer key
- Creativity with GPS and GIS activity
- VCAA - Spatial Technologies and Fieldwork in Victorian Curriculum and VCE Geography
- Example of GPS field exercise using Mobile Topographer - Android phone