Sri Lanka - South India Study Tour Reoprt
The January 2016 Study Tour to Sri Lanka and South India was the 16th overseas tour that I have organized for the GTAV. This 20 day tour was the first time that participants have been given the choice of going on one or both of the tours being offered. 11 people went on both tours, 4 just went to Sri Lanka and 6 just went to South India. Fortunately everything worked out according to plan.
Old friendships were renewed and new ones made. 10 out of the 21 people who went on one or both of the tours, had travelled on 6 or more of my previous tours and there were only 4 first timers. It was really great to once again see the same level of camaraderie that has existed on all previous GTAV tours.
Sri Lanka Tour Group
Highlights of our 10 days in Sri Lanka Tour included :
- Orphaned elephants bathing in the river at the Elephant Orphanage
- The spectacular Sigiriya Rock Fortress in central Sri Lanka
- The historic city of Kandy in its picturesque mountain setting
- A Sri Lankan Cultural Dance Performance in Kandy
- The 3 hour toy train trip through the highland tea plantation areas
South India Tour Group
Highlights of our 10 days in South India Tour included :
- Staying in the restored former guesthouse of the Maharajah of Mysore
- The magnificent royal palace of the last Maharajah of Mysore
- The spectacular elephant parade at a Hindu temple in Cochin
- Our overnight stay on luxury houseboats in the Kerala Backwaters
The accommodation and food throughout the tour was excellent and our tour guides provided us with a wonderful insight into the history, geography, culture and way of life of the people of these two fascinating countries.
Barrie M. Jones
GTAV Study Tours Co-ordinator